Thursday, April 10, 2008

Throw away your Nalgene bottles

 

I have a large stylish pink Nalgene bottle that I am very attached to.  I flipped it over this morning to discover that it is made with plastic #7.  This is a very harmful plastic, Nalgene uses it because it is unbreakable.  The chemicals  bisphenol A and phthalates can cause cancer, neural and behavioral problems, reproductive dysfunction, and other neurological problems.  My mother has been warning me of this for years but I did not really listen until recently, when I became a mother myself.  I hope to God I have not consumed too many of these chemicals during pregnancy, I could not bear it if I have hurt my daughter.  Please check all your plastics and throw away what we know to be extremely harmful.

Throw out #3, #6 and #7

Studies show #1, #2 and #5 to be safe.  (but are they really?)

Some good links on this info are:

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer on this topic but it is very important to me.  It should be very important
 to you as well.  Protect your children and loved ones please.

On a lighter note, I did just order 2 Klean Kanteens which are 100% safe stainless steel.  My mother has a few and they are quite lovely to drink out of, I had not realized how water really takes on the flavor of what surrounds it. Originally I wanted to order the ever popular SIGG metal water bottle because they are so pretty, but upon further research I discovered that they have a PLASTIC LINING.  Quite absurd, I guess they too only care about the environment and not our bodies.  Oh well, Klean Kanteen it is then.

2 comments:

Blooming said...

I stopped using mine when I first heard about this, but a lot of people still don't know. I wouldn't worry about what you have already done, worrying won't change it. Just make a point to avoid them in the future. Thank you for sharing this information with people.

Unknown said...

The liners of the Sigg bottles are safe, and have been rigorously tested. For information about their liners, here is a link that describes the liner, as well as the testing done by the company.
http://www.mysigg.com/images/assets/SIGG_bottle_liner.pdf

click for more quotes from the office

PlanningFamily

FamilyPlanning