Friday, July 11, 2008

Frugal Friday, Apple Cider Vinegar


There are so many claims for Apple Cider Vinegar uses.  I have recently done some research on seasonal allergies and Vinegar.  The claim is that the vinegar balances the acidity in the body and helps, or even ceases, allergies.  Huh.  Its worth a shot I thought.  As I am breastfeeding I refuse to take any drugs for my horrible hay fever, no matter how bad it gets. 

How to take the vinegar?  I have read that some people like to pour the dosage in a glass of water to drink and some prefer 'shots' and some even make a honey lemon tea with it.  I imagined drinking it in water to be the least offensive.  Now for the amount, anywhere from 2 tsp to 2 Tbs seems to be the most popular.  I will use 1 Tbs of my Heinz Apple cider vinegar.  It seems many prefer Organic or even the Braggs but I dont have any of those on hand but will purchase some soon as my vinegar may not be 'real'.

So I pour the vinegar in a glass of water and proceed to drink.  What a horrible mistake.  It takes me a good few minutes to get the stuff down and I seem to have gotten a bit of a stomach ache.  Yuk.  For my next dosage (I will do 2 per day) I decide to take a 'shot'.  This is actually much better and I barely even taste the stuff after 'chasing' it with water.  Not bad, I can do this.

Well, it has been a few days of these treatments and my allergies seem to be a little better.  I think I will get some organic vinegar and mine may not be true apple cider vinegar since it is generic.  I will see if I have better success with that and report back next week!!

5 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

I use raw apple cider vinegar (I have a kind made by Hain) mixed with raw honey (the raw honey really seems to help my allergies).

Great post! I look forward to hearing how it works for you! We really try to avoid pharmeceuticals, too.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope you enjoy the peanut sauce.
Blessings,
Michele
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

Lindy said...

I would love to hear an update on how this is working for you! I also suffer from allergies and take benedrly. Makes for a sleepy day. ha.

I just might try it myself. I think I'll go with the shot approach. :)

Greenflame said...

The trick is to mix it with water and keep topping up with water (filtered) until it tastes fine. You can also add it to salads and salad dressings or drink it hot with honey. Organic is the best.

See my page : http://www.greenfootsteps.com/vinegar-and-health.html for more details of its benefits and ways to use it.

It helps your energy, too!

valley view farm said...

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! You have some great ideas! I'll keep everyone posted.

Melanie said...

Hi! I live in Mongolia and I thought you might be interested to know that some Mongolians swear by this allergy remedy: sucking the guts out of a locust through the back end.

I hope I didn't freak you out but it is pretty gross, huh?

Melanie
www.melspin.blogspot.com

click for more quotes from the office

PlanningFamily

FamilyPlanning