Thursday, June 26, 2008

Frugal Friday; quick pantry meals

(picture is attached for my own mental torture only)
This week has been an emotional roller coaster ride for me.  We are trying to purchase a house that had been a bank repossession.  It is a screaming deal, something we would normally not have been able to afford for many, many years.  We were not actually planning to sell our house for quite some time, but my husband just stumbled across this.  The odds are really not with us, but how can I not get my hopes up???  I want it so bad I can taste it! So, for the past couple of days I have been going through things and acting as if we will be putting our house up for sale, meeting w/ our agent and walking through the house over and over.  

Can you imagine what all of this has done to my Weekly Meal Plan Menu?  Yeah, that went out the window.  Still, I refuse to spend money on Take Out, what a waste!  And I have sure not made it to the grocery store yet this week.  That only leaves me with the food we have on hand.  What creative meals have I made from our pantry and freezer supplies?

Spaghetti (thats a no-brainer)
Veggie Curry- potatoes, onion, carrots, frozen peas and rice w/ curry sauce
Pasta Salad- cold pasta, italian dressing and cut fresh or frozen veggies
Black beans and Rice (make cuban black beans w/ cumin, onion, vinegar & oregano)
Mac and Cheese w/ a can of fire roasted tomatoes, peas and fresh chopped basil (just had that tonight, actually very tasty!)
Veggie burgers (I always keep the big freezer full of day old whole wheat buns)

Keys to keeping a quick, cheap pantry meal tasty?  Add extra seasoning, fresh chopped veggies and fresh herbs.

What kind of pantry meals do you create?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pray to St. Joseph. He is a patron saint for real estate. We sold our home in 1/2 the time.

click for more quotes from the office

PlanningFamily

FamilyPlanning