Thursday, June 5, 2008

Frugal Friday.


Coconut Milk substitution for Frugal Friday.  

Todays frugal idea is something I have read a little on here and there and finally just decided to try.  It is a coconut milk concoction.  Normally I buy soy and rice milk and enjoy them both.  Soy milk is always high in sugar and rice milk a little bland, both can be quite pricy, even with coupons.  Making this coconut milk costs me less than half what I normally spend on soymilk, even after sales and coupons!  I make a pitcher for about .80!

Ingredients:
one can coconut milk
3-4 cans water
10-20 drops liquid stevia (or sugar, both optional)
dash of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla (also optional)

Mix all of these items in a big pitcher and keep in the fridge. Try it on cereal, on oatmeal, in a glass, in recipes.  It is soooo yummy!

Worried about getting enough calcium normally found in cows milk and soy milk?  Did you know celery and oranges are high in calcium?  We eat such a huge variety of whole foods and take good quality multi-vitamins I am not concerned about calcium in beverages.  I am loving substituting this for myself, but for my daughter may do some soy as well as coconut for all the added vitamins!





Give it a try!  You just might love it as much as I do.


No comments:

click for more quotes from the office

PlanningFamily

FamilyPlanning