Thursday, August 14, 2008

Cloth Pads, thats right, Menstrual Pads!


Well, my husband thinks I am crazy. First for trying these, second for 'telling the world' (his words!). If you have read my blog before you know that I am a huge cloth fan. I use cloth towels in the kitchen instead of paper towels, cloth diapers and wipes on the babe, cloth grocery bags... so why not on myself?

I have read so much about how much other women really love cloth, it is softer, lack of chemicals results i n a shorter and lighter period, and they are cheaper (or free if you have fabric on hand!). Not even to start with the whole environmental aspect.
If you can get over the gross factor (it took me about 6 months of considering to do so) and just realize we have to deal with this whole period issue no matter what. It is really not going to be much different. I wash diapers anyway so it wont create any extra tasks or even waste any extra water. And I just cannot wait to see how comfortable they really are, all I read is how much women just love them!!

I have done a lot of research and used some really wonderful and easy patterns off this website here , do check it out, at least see how pretty they are! I also was inspired by this great blog To Love Honor and Vacuum, she was less formal on making hers and it just seemed so easy and fun I really had a great time making them! This site here was especially helpful in choosing my fabrics, she also has a lot of great information to share. A great help so I was able to use materials I had on hand. I will have to purchase some snaps to add later as I have read that velcro can be scratchy!

I was hoping to get the chance to use these by today so I could report on how they worked and how comfortable they are but it might be a few days yet! I will be sure to let everyone know how much I love/hate them just as soon as I get that chance!


7 comments:

Rachael said...

Those look great, seriously~ I might have to take the plunge. We started going w/o paper towels recently (sort of by accident when we ran out!) and have kept going with it. Thanks for sharing!

valley view farm said...

Yeah, its REALLY personal but I like to share!! Ill let you know how they 'work out'!

Sheila said...

Hi Erin! Thanks for the link! I'm glad I inspired you! I'm taking a bunch of them to Africa later this year, too. It seems like a good idea for everyone.

And my 13-year-old daughter would never admit it to anyone else, but she thinks they're way more comfortable than disposables. She hates it when we're camping and she has to use the plastic ones!

Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

Julie Willis said...

We made up a couple awhile back. We found they didn't stay in place well. I tried using snaps underneath. THey stayed well but bunched. Did you do something different? I'd like to know...

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

I was just telling a friend that I was thinking of making these. Thanks for all the great links! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Blessings,
Michele
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

Stephanie Appleton said...

I've been using the Keeper (internal reusable product) for about 9 months (I think) and I really like it, but have been thinking of trying cloth pads too. Actually I'm wondering if I could refashion some cloth diapers we are no longer using into pads. I know it sounds kind of gross at first, but it is absorbent material! LOL!

Cooksalot said...

Well??? How'd they do??? they sure remind me of the diaper doubler's I made when my boys were babies. I even run in to them once in awhile when going through old clothes. I just can't seem to get rid of them. Probably because this idea has been in the back of my mind I just figured I was weird. LOL! So let me know how they are.

click for more quotes from the office

PlanningFamily

FamilyPlanning